The King Family

Friday, January 15, 2010

Confidence! It's Freaky Friday

How is it that we instill confidence in our children? Are they born with it? Do we as parents create it, or encourage it? Why do some kids take everything other kids say to them, to heart, and let it hurt their self image? Why do some kids not care what others think or say? Are we fighting an up hill battle, while we as moms are trying our best to make our kids feel good about themselves, but meanwhile the siblings and others are sabotaging our efforts? I think about this ALL the time. I was so shy and insecure as a child, and DON'T want my kids to EVER feel that way! Is it part of the growing process? Does it make us who we are? Maybe confidence is a gift. Some of us are given that gift, while others have to work for it. I may never know!

Each morning as the kids are running out the door to school, in an effort to help them, I say-
Bye, I LOVE YOU, have a great day, do your best, be brave, be smart, remember your beautiful, make good choices, choose good friends, and BE HAPPY!
Sometimes I even say it to Alyssa when she is having a rough day, because I know it always makes her smile!
Sometimes I wonder if the others ever think about what I am saying, or maybe they are just thinking, hurry up and say what you always say, so we can go! I may never know!


Maybe they all have enough confidence - because this is how they looked for school today. It is school spirit week, and today was Freaky Friday!

4 comments:

Toni said...

Love it. Great post Melynda!!

Becky said...

I think you're a great Mom who is doing everything to raise very confident kids! They'll have a good foundation to take off and be great adults!

Bethany said...

I love it!

I worry about that all the time. I worry about it when I see my own insecurities in my kids.

I also worry, and hope, and pray that they will be successful when they confidently step past my insecurities.

Dawn said...

You will get a phone call one day in the near future and your child will will say "Mom, do you remember when you said _____, I understand now." That is the best phone call in the
world!
You are doing a great job Melynda!